Best Hiking Trails in Eritrea
Mountains run right through the middle of Eritrea, an East African country. The central part of the country sits on a plateau. There are beautiful mountain landscapes to explore here, but not a lot of hiking infrastructure.
When To Hike in Eritrea?
Climate: Mild semi-arid in the mountainous areas. Rains occur during summer months. Coolest temps Nov – Mar, which is best time to go. Centre sits on a plateau so cooler temps.
Accessibility of Hiking
Hard: While there is plenty of mountainous terrain to explore there is very little info on actually hiking here.
Transportation required: Vehicle to access towns or trails
Where to stay in Eritrea for hiking:
Top Places to Hike in Eritrea
Filter out hiking places of Eritrea by month
- Emba Soira – in the centre south of the country, near border with Ethiopia
- Semenawi Bahri National park (in the Northern Red Sea region)
- Asmara, the capital, surrounded by mountains and a good base
- Around Keren (2nd largest city in Eritrea)
- Around towns such as Nak’fa & Afabet
Eritrea's Long Distance Trails
Eritrea's Walking & Hiking Resources
Eritrea Hiking Books: No hiking specific books
- Eritrea: The Bradt Guide, by Edward Denison and Edward Paice, 2007, Bradt Travel Guides
Best Hiking Trails in Eritrea:
You can find more details on hiking these trails from trail maps/apps, websites, and tourist offices, as there are no published guidebooks:
- Emba Soira
- Mount Matara
- Qohaito Canyon
- Semenawi Bahri National Park
- Hikes around Keren, Asmara
Eritrea Hiking Websites:
Eritrea Official Tourism Site:
Eritrea Hiking Apps:
- None found
Eritrea Hiking Maps: